How I Witnessed God’s Guiding Hand

“By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night.” Exodus 13:21

When you awaken, you never know the surprising ways God will be revealed to you that day.

Early on a sunny July morning, my husband, my daughter, and I began the seven hour trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. As our car navigated rush hour traffic, I nestled  my head into the top of the seat to catch up on some sleep.

Suddenly, the clinking sound of an object hitting the underneath of the car jarred me awake. Did something fall off?

We pulled off to the side of the road which, in itself, can be a fearful feat.

My husband checked and concluded that a cap had fallen off.

Not believing the cap to be anything significant, we returned to the road.

…..until we quickly discovered that the tire had flattened.

we rolled over the part that fell off!

Once again, we pulled off.My husband replaced the tire with the spare. With a timeline to meet, my daughter began to fret. I assured her that we would call the camp to alert them of any delay. And I prayed.

How are we going to pay for a tire?

As we returned to the road for a second time, my prayers quickly intensified. Our car was losing power. Apparently, the water pump had gone out.

Now what?

The next exit was a few miles away. Where was the nearest repair shop and how would we get there?

For the next fifteen minutes, we navigated the expressway to the nearest exit with no brakes, little power, and a spare tire.

And we prayed.

We were guided to a gas station with a repair shop attached (after maneuvering around an accident right down the road).

The disruptions and fears were mere bumps on God’s radar. Nothing that couldn’t be resolved with a bit of divine engineering.

Though we aren’t promised safety as God’s children, we cannot dismiss the scriptural reminders that we are not abandoned.

I will continue to cling to the truth that God’s hand is always at work in our lives. Always.

This post is written for the Five Minute Friday Writing Community. Come join us: http://fiveminutefriday.com/

Advertisements

15 thoughts on “How I Witnessed God’s Guiding Hand

1. Tara

I needed to read this friend! Having an accident the other day, I so felt hopeless. It wasn’t my fault at all and I am ok. But the damages may exceed the value of the car. So now I wait and wonder while also trusting God’s got this. I’m over in the 50 spot this week.

2. wisdomfromafather

Visiting from FMF. God always guides us. It could have been you in the accident. What other detours were around the bend you didn’t even know about. But our God did. He’s the ultimate Guide. Hope your little one enjoyed camp.

3. Suzette K.

I like your story. It made me think of a similar trip when we encountered a flat tire on a freeway far away from home. Now, I can see how God was right there with us, guiding us through. Thanks for the reminder.

4. janyret

Divine engineering. So true. It’s amazing to look back and see the plans and processes undergirding my every moment and such a wise idea to celebrate those amazing God moments so we won’t forget the next time we feel like we’re falling without a net 🙂

5. Barbie

Thank you for sharing your story. I was truly blessed as to how God watched over you and guided you to where you needed to go. I’m in the #7 spot this week.

6. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser

Stephanie, your story reminded me of one of my own. In 1978 I was booked on a flight to San Diego, on PSA. I had to cancel because of unforeseen and frustrating circumstances, and that aeroplane infamously crashed, with the loss of all aboard and several people on the ground (and two more in a small aeroplane that it ‘ran down’).

That was chilling enough, but when I perused the casualty list, there was a chap I had known, and then another name…Andrew Martin.

Martin is my middle name.

1. Stephanie Post author

That had send some chills down your spine. Why some people are moved out of danger’s way and some aren’t is a mystery. But we know that God’s hand is never absent from our lives. I’m glad you avoided that crash. Who knows how your life has blessed others.

7. juliedibblewrites

Thank you Stephanie. Car trouble is one of those anxiety-producing events that feel very much like your smack in the middle of the uncaring world, especially when traffic is involved. Your dedication to prayer and living out the truth that we are never alone is a Godly example for us to follow. So, I am guessing your daughter got to camp?

8. Pam Dow

Thanks for sharing. I’m thankful that God can see the BIG picture and takes care of us…even when “life” tries to distract us. I’m your FMF neighbor #72 this week.