Why We are Deceived by More

Perhaps our human nature’s tendency is to resolve a void by grasping for more.

At times, the thirst seems unsatiable. It’s as if we have traveled a long journey in the heat of Summer. The craving for relief of a dry mouth and dehydrated body spirals as our eyes catch a glimpse of water. We don’t just splash a bit on the face or sipped. The cool liquid is gulped. A mere swallow morphs into a nonstop flow down the throat. In the end, the flood of water is too much; the body would have benefited by a more intentional stroll. Co

What if a pause for refreshment and stillness on the journey would prevent the desire for more?

In our thirsty state, the body, soul, and mind become vulnerable to anything that can quench the unfulfilled state. Newer technology. Bigger portions. Culturally Iconic clothing. Expensive cars. Prized seats at a sports venue. Big House. Promotion. Activity at a popular church.

More does not equal abundance.

Jesus said, “I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of” (John 10:10).  He comes to give; not take. Anything else we crave or accumulate in order to feel satiated will leave us feeling empty.

Ironic, isn’t it?

Jesus exhorts: “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink.” (John 7:37)

What is your “more?”

This post is written for the Five Minute Friday Writing Community prompt exercise. Come join us! http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Why We are Deceived by More

1. carol525

The irony is that the “more” I crave is the ability to have more time to reflect, to listen to God’s still voice, rather than be enslaved to the busy-ness we live in! I’m going to keep striving for that more…
    🙂
    Your FMF neighbor.

2. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser

Great post, Stephanie, and a good question you posed…of what do I want more?

In a word, pain. I’m not a masochist, but somehow I have the feeling that pain is a zero-sum game in this Creation, and that if more gets dumped on me, someone else won’t have to face it. So, why not?

And believing or even suspecting this could be true, how could I, in good conscience, turn away from that request? (And this is, in fact, the thesis of my FMF post this week.)

My wife thinks I’m nuts, and that it’s a lunatic stab at nobility.

But there is no nobility involved here. I know how to manage pain; I was expensively trained. It is, in a sense, my job.

#1 at FMF this week.

1. Stephanie Post author

Andrew, thanks for sharing. Actually, it makes sense. I think we crave more of what we can control. Even if it causes discomfort. It’s what we Know. Who would invite the unexpected?

3. Rachel Quigley

These are good thoughts. Often as we drink in what the world offers we are not quenched but more worn out, tired and thirsty! It is good to go to the source that refreshes and renews! Thanks for sharing! Happy Friday to you! (Stopping by from FMF)

Liked by 1 person

4. andrealanewrites

Love this! I’ve been growing in this area of letting more be an abundance with Christ and not as much about the things that crowd him out. Thank you for these verses, I’m holding them close today. Andréa

Liked by 1 person

5. Jeannie Prinsen

Thanks for your post, Stephanie. I agree that taking time for rest and refreshment can help press pause on that craving for more. It gives us time to see what really satisfies: God and his abundant grace.

Jeannie (sitting at #25 this week)

6. Jeanne Takenaka

Stephanie, I love your thoughts here. Maybe we do chase after more because something within in us is unsatisfied. You brought to mind the question, if I feel I need something I don’t have, what need am I trying to meet, and is it in or out of God’s best for me? Very thought-provoking.